Visual aids are crucial to communicating with others with a purpose. We all know that if you want your blog to appeal more to your users, or you want a professional-looking resume, or attract more people on socials, we use images and other visual aids.
It is because visuals are more retainable for every person out there. In your day-to-day life, you create a presentation or design a business card for your business or need a newsletter for your website, and so on. Now, if you use a different app for everything, for instance, you cannot find stock images on Photoshop, it can be a tedious task.
But fortunately, we have a tool that can help you perform all these steps at a single place i.e., Canva.
With Canva, you combine publishing, editing, and stock image library into one platform. It even has thousands of templates for business cards, wedding cards, websites, resumes, and so on. All this makes this platform one of the biggest and most popular visual platforms in the market.
In this blog, we will explore more about Canva and its features so that you can use it in the best way possible.
Canva- A little Background
Before we explore the features that Canva has to offer, here’s a little insight into its background.
It was in the year 2012, that Melanie Perkins, Cameron Adams, and Clifford Obrecht created this online platform for creating visuals for all mediums. Melanie is the CEO of this design platform.
After its inception on 1st January 2012, it accumulated over 750,000 users within a year.
In the year 2015, Canva for work came into existence. The aim behind this is to provide a platform for businesses to create their marketing elements.
Most features of Canva are free, but for work and advanced features, it is $12.99 per month.
As per the latest reports in the year 2020, Canva has over 977 employees and has a global presence.
Other than English, it supports 15 other languages.
It is the perfect designing and learning tool for amateurs and professionals. During this lockdown, go to Canva and start learning the art of designing.
Exploring the app
Since this app has tons of usage like creating a logo or designing a resume or editing an image or making a business invitation, and so on. You must be aware of your purpose while exploring the app.
If you are creating a logo, read the blogs to know what features the platform has for the same. It will help you explore the different templates, images, text, and so on.
Learn the Basics of the Design
The best thing about Canva is that even amateurs can use this app to design their logo, or gifs, or presentation, and so on. The tools and its interactive drag and drop feature makes it easy for you to do so.
Also, there are small learning blogs that will help you understand the art of alignment or how to choose the right colours and so on.
Also, there are tons of templates and stock images available on Canva, which will help you create an original image or visual without worrying about the copyright issue.
Tips for using Canva smoothly
1. Know the rules
The best way to make the right design is to know the dimensions and standard rules for that. It is easy to do so with Canva as we have documents for everything. When you choose a template for a resume, read the document first.
You can go to the homepage and look for all the templates and know their dimensions and all or you can search for specific things by typing in.
2. Work with your team
If you have a design team, you don’t want to work alone on any visual. You want their inputs at every point so that everyone is on the same page. With Canva, you can do this.
It has a collaboration tool which lets you add people to the design screen using email or links. You also have the option to give people access to editing or viewing. It is a quick way to edit and review a project at once only.
3. Canva Assistant
A lot of times we are in flux while designing. With Canva, this won’t hinder your project because you have a Canva assistant at your disposal. Click on the purple question mark button on the bottom of your screen. Now, you can search for blogs or documents that can provide you with tutorials and so on. All this will ease you in completing the project without any troubles.
4. Canva folder for organization
For a designer, the organization is the key to create amazing visuals. With Canva folders, you can keep your favourite or repetitive visuals like logo or letterheads in one place. Follow these steps to use this feature:
- On the sidebar, click on a folder tab. On the top corner, you will notice a new tab, click on it, and change the label accordingly.
- Now save your design.
- After that, go to homepage>top of the design.
- Using the drop-down menu, you can save the designs in the folder you made. It also has the option to share these folders.
How to share your visuals to the world?
Now, that you have created the visual, it is time to share it with the world. Canva has numerous options for the same.
The latest updates in Canva or as it is now known as Canva 2.0, you have a lot of options for publishing your designs. You can share it with your team or share it on social media or websites or so on.
- Presentation: If you used Canva to create a presentation, you can press publish once you complete it fully. You will have to pay for any premium elements that you used in the slideshow. Once you do that, you can access that slideshow from any laptop.
- Social media: when it comes to social media, you can now connect your Canva account with all your social media platforms. This way you will be able to share any image or design to Tumblr, Facebook, Instagram, or so on. One tip: if you want to resize the image’s dimension according to the social media, go pro as you have access to the Magic resize tool.
- Print: You can even print your design using your printer. Also, you can get Canva to print and deliver the designs to your home in certain specific destinations.
Pros of Using Canva
Now, that we know the features of Canva, it is best to understand the pros of the same.
- Canva is a user-friendly and easy app with tons of stock images, symbols, outlines, and textual styles.
- You can create your visual in a variety of formats like PDF, illustrations, notices, thumbnails, and so on.
- It provides you with 1GB extra space for including your personal images or photographs into the platform.
- There is now a Canva mobile app too, so you can sync your work and use it anywhere anytime.
- Images designed using Canva loads faster and works on every platform, which is important for your website speed and scalability.
How to Use Canva?
Here is a quick guide on how to create a visual using Canva:
- Dimensions: Select the right dimension from the homepage that we mentioned above. You can choose the custom size or change it as per your need.
- Background: The second step is to choose a background. You should know the purpose of every colour to ensure you don’t end up using the wrong one. Canva has a colour combination tool that can help you with the same. You can also use images as a background. First, place a grid, then use an image from the library or your gallery. Add a filter or edit them or resize or crop them as per need.
- Elements: It’s now time to add elements to your design. Keep it simple, if you use too many elements, it will overcrowd the design and you don’t want that.
- Font: Choosing the right font is important because you want it to go with the design and convey your message. Never use more than two fonts and make sure they are the right combination. Canva has pre-set combinations of tons of fonts which you can use. You can set your combination too, but make sure they go with each other.
- Edit: Once your design is complete, check it again to make sure that you didn’t miss an important element. Make sure you customize it according to your need.
- Save: Save the design in the Canva folder, save it, or print it or use as per your needs.
Canva is the best tool in the market for designing a million things. It provides tons of tools at one place, which is perfect for creating any design or logo or resume or so on. Give it a try and explore the platform fully.
Happy creating people!