Recipes for the 4th of July: Flag Pizza
The 4th of July is fast approaching so it’s time to get out those Independence Day recipes. Whether you’re entertaining or just hanging out with the family, you want to make the holiday both fun and special. Recess has a few really great July 4th recipes that are both super easy make and delightfully yummy. Our first recipe, Flag Pizza from the Organized Cook, is perfect for kids because 1) it’s pizza and 2) they can help you make it.
- 6 ounces part skim mozzarella cheese slices
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1 cup spaghetti or pizza sauce
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into slices or 1 sliced red bell pepper or a mixture of the two
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Take two slices of mozzarella cheese and stack together.
- Use kitchen scissors or small knife to cut a few star shapes out of the cheese. Slice remaining cheese slices into 1-inch strips.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Stretch pizza dough to fit a rectangular pan. Spread sauce evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle spinach over top left corner of dough. Place stars on the spinach. Lay tomatoes (or peppers) and cheese strips in alternating strips on rest of the pizza.
- Bake 10 to 20 minutes until cheese is melted and starting to turn golden and crust is starting to brown. Remove from oven and serve with crushed red pepper flakes (if using).