Dr. Seuss Truffula Trees to Celebrate Nevada Reading Week
Nevada Reading Week
This week was Nevada Reading Week as celebrated in Clark County Schools. In our school, kids dressed up as their favorite Dr. Seuss characters while they participated in many reading awareness activities throughout the week. At home, we supported the campaign by making bookmarks and posters with the theme “Read it. Dream it. Do it.” in addition to reading together and discussing our favorite books.
Dr. Seuss Birthday Anniversary
March 2nd is the 109th birthday anniversary of Dr. Seuss, and what better way to celebrate than with cupcakes? As a classroom treat, these Truffula Trees cupcakes would be a fun way to celebrate Nevada Reading Week as well. Blogger Courtney Whitmore shares her Dr. Seuss-inspired recipe for Truffula Tree Cupcakes. These tasty treats are just as cute and colorful as the trees made famous by his iconic 1971 children’s book, “The Lorax.”
What You’ll Need:
1 box Betty Crocker White Cake mix
1 stick butter, softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
10 drops green food coloring
1 package pretzel stick rods
1 package Fruit Roll-Ups
Colored cotton candy
What You’ll Do:
- Bake white cupcakes in mini-muffin pan according to package instructions.
- Beat butter for 1 minute and add powdered sugar in 1 cup intervals, beating thoroughly between each addition, until creamy. Add in vanilla and cream. Beat well for 2 minutes. Add in green food coloring until frosting is grass green.
- Use a fluted pastry tip to pipe grass on top of cooled mini cupcakes.
- Wrap Fruit Roll-Ups pieces around pretzel sticks. Place tufts of cotton candy on top of pretzel sticks using a bit of extra frosting to help stick the two together.
- Stick the pretzel rod carefully into the center of the grass green cupcake. Enjoy!
– See more at: http://abullseyeview.com/photos-in-the-kitchen-truffula-tree-cupcakes-dr-seuss-birthday-recipe/#sthash.W5946Xs8.dpuf
More Dr. Seuss Fun
Las Vegas blogger, Toni Spilsbury, created this fun dinner makeover for Dr. Seuss’ “The Lorax”, which has been featured by Pinterest.
Lorax Pasta Dinner Recipe:
- Cavatappi Pasta- 1 lb
- Food coloring- Wilton or Duff’s Electric Pink, Orange and Yellow (found at Michael’s or Walmart)
- steam-ready broccoli florets- 8 oz.
- steam-ready asparagus tips- 8 oz.
- Alfredo sauce- 1 jar
- Fill pasta pan with water and add 4-5 drops of food coloring (one color at a time) and a teaspoon of salt; mix well
- Bring to boil
- Add one-third of pasta and boil in salted water until tender
- Repeat steps 1-3 for additional two colors
- Steam broccoli and asparagus
- Transfer pasta to serving bowl and top with steamed broccoli and asparagus
- Combine blue food coloring and Alfredo sauce to mix well, then drizzle over the top of pasta to create a river
Have A Fun Family Recipe?
RECESS wants to hear from you! Become a Contributing Blogger or Featured Blogger. You don’t have to be a professional writer to have a voice.
Leave your comment below, or email us your response or submission below for consideration as Featured or Syndicated Content.