This recipe came about when I had a ton of leftover Skittles from Halloween and needed to figure out what to do with them. Since my family (and myself, of course) love pork cops and candy apples, I thought to myself, “Why not make candy apples and pork chops together?” Crazy, I know! But not only did it turn out delicious, it was a big hit with kids. The recipe does have Skittles in it after all.
- boneless pork loin chops- 2 lbs
- white wine *optional like Riesling or Chardonnay- ½ cup
- apple cider- 1 cup
- condensed chicken stock- 1 tub mixed with 1 cup water or 1 can chicken broth
- Red skittles from 2 bags
- granny smith apple- 1 cored and sliced thin
- red delicious apple- 1 cored and sliced thin
- butter- 3 tablespoons
- Olive oil- 3 tablespoons
- Brown sugar- 3 tablespoons
- Corn starch- 1 tablespoon dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- Heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté pork chops until brown on both sides; remove to paper-towel lined plate.
- Deglaze pan with chicken broth and wine (optional) scrapping up any bits at the bottom of pan.
- Add apple cider, brown sugar and corn starch water, then bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low.
- Return pork chops to sauce and let simmer until pork chops are tender and cooked through, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove pork chops to serving platter.
- Add red Skittles and dissolve in sauce, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add apples to sauce and simmer until tender and slightly caramelized, approximately 4 minutes.
- Spoon apple and sauce over pork chops and serve any extra sauce in a gravy boat or bowl.