Family Dinner Recipe
I created this recipe last Spring with fresh rosemary from the garden. It was also the first time I chronicled my recipe creation process with photos on Instagram.
I’ll admit that Lemon & Milk Braised Chicken is not a quick recipe idea that you can make in less than 30 minutes. However, the prep time is only about 30 minutes while the cook time is over an hour. So I typically start this recipe earlier in the afternoon and get work done around the house or in the office while it’s cooking.
My favorite part about this meal is the leftovers which I reincarnate in a couple of days to a Lemon-Basil Chicken Bake.
Ingredients + Instructions
- whole chicken- 5lbs
- lemons- 2
- cinnamon sticks- 2
- fresh rosemary sprigs- 4
- poultry seasoning (like Lawry’s perfect blend), or a combination of salt, pepper, paprika and thyme
- butter- 2 tbspns (to sauté chicken)
- milk- 2 cups
- Remove and discard neck from chicken then rinse and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season chicken generously with poultry seasoning.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in Dutch oven or large skillet that can be transferred to oven.
- Saute chicken in butter breast side up first for 20 minutes until brown, then turn over with breast side down
- Add milk, zest from both lemons, juice from one lemon, cinnamon sticks and rosemary.
- Heat oven to 325⁰.
- Cover chicken with oven-safe lid or aluminum foil and transfer to oven to cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until internal thermometer reaches 160⁰.
- Serve chicken carved with sauce from pan spooned over the top.
Reincarnate The Leftover
Don’t throw out leftover roasted chicken! Instead, reincarnate it into this delicious Lemon-Basil Chicken Bake: