Meatless Mondays: Spring Penne
Meatless Mondays, an initiative of The Monday Campaigns, encourages everyone to reduce meat consumption. Why, you may ask? It’s healthier for our bodies and greener for our planet. Read more about Meatless Mondays here. Recess is joining the cause by posting meat-free recipes every Monday. We’ve chosen a delicious dish from The Organized Cook that is not only void of meat but is also a quick and easy meal that is perfect for Spring.
Meatless Monday: Spring Penne is also a great dish if you love pasta and cheese. And if your Mondays are hectic like mine, you’ll appreciate its simplicity (and deliciousness).
- penne pasta- 1lb
- asparagus- 1lb, trimmed and diced into 1-inch pieces
- mushrooms, sliced- 8 oz.
- sundried tomatoes- 1 small 7 oz. jar
- marscapone cheese, 8 oz.
- pecorino cheese- 8oz. (you can also Parmesan)
- Boil pasta in salted water until tender
- Heat a few tablespoons oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat (or, if your sundried tomatoes are in oil, use that)
- Add diced asparagus,mushrooms and sundried tomatoes and sauté until tender
- Add both Marscapone and Pecorino cheese; stir until melted
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water, and transfer to a serving bowl (you can dip a glass measuring cup into cooking pasta water before draining to reserve)
- Add pasta water back to pasta in serving bowl
- Pour cheese and vegetable mixture over pasta